Transportation of pet animals for commercial purposes

Every year, the State Food and Veterinary Service (SFVS) receives the notifications from the competent authorities of other European Union (EU) countries about pet animals that are not properly transported for trade purposes.
In order to sell animal pets to the residents of other EU countries, they must be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies (according to the age), in addition, each animal must have a passport, and the carrier must have a certificate of internal trade, issued by the specialists of territorial SFVSs. 
“Please note that entrusting the animal pets to be transported by other people for commercial purposes can only be done after a careful assessment of whether they have the necessary qualifications and permits. When pets are transported by the unqualified people, i.e. these animals are transported in crammed, tight transport cages, where there is not enough space to move freely, animals are left in cages for more than 24 hours, inadequately fed and watered. Animal transporters must hold permits for animal transportation and vehicle certificates issued by the SFVS or other EU authorities”, - emphasises Gintarė Juozėnienė, Senior Veterinarian of the Animal Health and Welfare Department (SFVS).
According to the specialist, if the animal was transported without a health assessment prior to the trip and there is no documentary evidence for that, border service officials of the countries to which the animal is being transported may consider such circumstances as a potential risk for the appearance of agents for contagious animal diseases. Therefore, pets can even be confiscated and for the breeders and transporters, who are breaking the laws, administrative sanctions applied.

“Animal owners must plan their trips responsibly. If they do not have the opportunity to accompany the animals themselves, they should choose reliable carriers and make sure that pets travel safely and comfortably. In case of any uncertainties or questions, the specialists of the territorial units of our service can always give some advice or provide additional information”, - says G. Juozėnienė.