Identification of Bovines
Lithuanian rules on the identification of bovine animals pursue the following Community objectives:
- the localisation and tracing of animals for veterinary purposes with an aim of ensuring control of infectious diseases,
- the tracebility of beef, in order to safeguard the interests of consumers,
- the management and supervision of compensations for animals as part of the common organisation of the market in beef and veal.
The identification and registration system of bovine animals covers:
- eartaging of each animal with two eartags with an individual number
- keeping a register on each holding
- a computerised central database
The model of eartag, specimen of passport and holding register as well as list of breeds and codes of bovine animals used in Lithuania, can be found here .
Identification of Ovines and Caprines
The model of eartag. movement document and holding register of ovine and caprine animals used in Lithuania, can be found here .